Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fatigue is more than just physical

My best friend Nick and I went to the gym here in Lexington tonight. Due to many different circumstances... not because I don't want to... I haven't stepped foot into the Golds gym that we are members at for weeks. Let me first say gyms are so funny to. Everyone is trying so hard to look huge, cut, ripped, fit or massive. You can just sit and watch guys looking out of the side of their eyes to make sure "she" is looking while they try their "NEW MAX... RAH!" Whatever... I just think it's funny because I do the same thing when I go in... try to be cool. Anyway, Because of my 3 week hiatus my muslces have decreased considerable and as I noticed tonight... are not used to pushing weight yet. Each time I pushed they would scream at me and tell me... "I'm not ready!". But how am I ever going to get back into shape if I listen to those pesky muscle fibers? So, NO... I put my head down and push on. The harder I pushed the harder it was to focus my eyes and keep my food down (sorry, gross I know). What happened to me? Why am I so weak?

I got out of rhythm. I fell off the bandwagon. I quite my routine. I got out of step with my previous way of living. But today my thoughts were not confined to physical fatigue from my whimpy muscles. Tonight I was consumed thinking about how often I let my spiritual life become fatigued and out of shape. I can got for weeks spending time with Jesus and focusing on Him and then ONE week will effectively take away precious momentum. It's true that this life we live as Christians... as Jesus followers... is a journey. Journeys aren't easy. Some days you can travels miles and miles and never feel the strain. Others you can actually go backward or get lost or simply refuse to leave from your present location. Staying in Rhythm with Jesus is THE hardest endeavor I have ever undertaken. Because He demands so much you may ask? Because Jesus isn't fair? Because He never really talks back when I pray? No... No... and a hearty No. It's hard because I am inconsistent. If I don't stay in the gym I get weak and pathetic and it is near impossible to get back into the routine. If I don't stay connect with my Savior I do the same. I get weak and suddenly make decisions and do thing I immediately regret. It become snear impossible to sit down and start a daily practice of connect with God. Is it important?

Like BREATHING.

I want to train my muscles to be huge, fit, ripped, massive because my body will be healthy... and not to mention maybe a female might notice. I want to train my soul to be healthy, alive, connected, right, good because my very being will be healthy. So God would you give me the desire to connect with you daily and to be spiritually pumping iron!

Stay Classy San Diego!

2 comments:

Nick Cunningham said...

mmmm. homerun, or home run (?)

Andrew Stewart said...

well put, i know the feeling of both gym weakness and spritual weakness