Thursday, December 18, 2008

The challenge of trust

Today is a special day at East Lake. We as a staff are fasting (going without to plead for God to move on our behalf) today in prayer for God to provide for our church's financial need. It is obvious today that every single person in the world around us is financially struggle to make ends meet. It is plain to see that with this struggle being present that our church would struggle as well. To be honest... this is the best place East Lake could be right now. I believe the financial hardship we have come up against has forced us into a place of complete dependence on God... which should be our constant position anyway. I don't pretend to be a professional truster of God... or a "PRUSTER"- if you will. I have often been terrible at it, but a particular verse I discovered this week has caused me to become a bit more of a "pruster".

Psalm 62:5-11

5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.

6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

7 My salvation and my honor depend on God [a] ;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
Selah

9 Lowborn men are but a breath,
the highborn are but a lie;
if weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
together they are only a breath.

10 Do not trust in extortion
or take pride in stolen goods;
though your riches increase,
do not set your heart on them.

11 One thing God has spoken,
two things have I heard:
that you, O God, are strong



I am praying that God will provide for our church in every way. I believe that either way God will either provide what we think we need or show us what He believes we need. If you would like a way to help... please pray that God will move this week in a might way as we pray and fast. I look forward to a further post as I tell of God's faithfulness.

A side note: God has been showing both Jenna and I what it is like to be a generous tithing person. After starting to learn this discipline, I was given a note of thanks for past service along with a $1,000 check addressed to "Trevor Miller's youth group". INCREDIBLE. God will provide in whatever way He wants. I want to trust.

From one improving "PRUSTER" to another.

1 comment:

Brian said...

God wants us totally dependent upon him. We can say that we trust God, but the real test is in ones finances. I've seen a lot of churches in your same "shoes". Even in churches, we can get where we are not trusting God, but relying on everyone to tithe more. Times like this is the perfect time to give more, so God can show himself to be real.

grace and peace,
Brian
downpour-me.blogspot