Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Taking my spiritual pulse

A few events in my recent past (ie- Adrian Despres, Confirmation sunday... etc.) have caused me to put my fingers to my wrists and find my pulse again. It seems it has been too long since I last evaluated where I was in my spiritual walk. I believe this is a healthy activity to take part in every once in a while and I needed it.

I discovered I am not where I want to be. I really do want to do and go wherever God would lead. I have no problem desiring that end, but when it comes down to it I do a pretty poor job of living my life in a way that would give itself to that kind of devotion. I am sick of being mediocre at so many important areas of my walk. I am tired of being able to quote 2 or 3 Bible verses... petty? I don't think so... I want to value His word so highly it is ingrained into my heart and life. I am tired of praying whenever it is convenient for me... I forget that it should be like breathing. I am tired of compromise... which I do so often because my let my guard down. My only hope is that I still, even today, want Jesus more than I want anything else in my life. I want to make that longing translate from just a thought to a way of life.

If this sounds familiar... GOOD. I want this to be a constant evaluation. If this sounds cheesy... SORRY. This is where I am... this is what I want. So as I sit in this Columbia, SC airport to fly to Indiana for the Thanksgiving holiday... I feel a bit of hope of where I might be next time I decide to take my spiritual pulse.

1 comment:

Lindsay Downham said...

wow, great blog! sadly, it does sound familiar, but i'm thankful for the 'reminder' you gave to check my spiritual pulse... :)