Friday, June 19, 2009

SOAP Challenge Pt. 3

Wednesday June 17th

Acts 7:54-60 (New International Version)

The Stoning of Stephen

54When they heard this, they were furious and gnashed their teeth at him. 55But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56"Look," he said, "I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God."
57At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, 58dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.

59While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.


S.- Scripture
... gnashed their teeth at him.
... Jesus standing at the right hand of God...
... dragged him out of the city and began to stone him.
Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.??
... "Lord, do not hold this sin against them."

O.- Observe
The jewish leaders are so mad at them they are gnashing (grinding) their teeth.
Stephen is again full of the Spirit when he experiences this.
One of two times in the Bible where Jesus is seen standing.
The leaders threw rocks at Stephen... called stoning... until he died.
A man named Saul oversaw the whole ordeal.
Stephen repeats what Jesus said from the cross... "Lord, do not hold this sin against them."

A.- Apply
I need to be aware that their are people all around the world who are dying for their faith. I am very blessed to live in America.
Jesus standing for Stephen right before his death should give me strength to live boldly for Christ.
Do I forgive those who hurt me the way Stephen does in this passage?

P.- Pray
Jesus help me to live a life as a forgiving person. Help me to be someone who is quick to extend peace instead of hate. Thank you for the great country I live in. Give me the strength to stand for you in all circumstances. I love you. Amen.

No comments: