Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chew On This Pt. 2

I hope you middle school students are having a great time getting into the Word through studying ACTS. I can't wait to hear how it has gone this week. Make sure you guys and girls check out the bible studies that start tomorrow night!

Acts 6:8-16 (New International Version)

Stephen Seized

8Now Stephen, a man full of God's grace and power, did great wonders and miraculous signs among the people. 9Opposition arose, however, from members of the Synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called)—Jews of Cyrene and Alexandria as well as the provinces of Cilicia and Asia. These men began to argue with Stephen, 10but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke.
11Then they secretly persuaded some men to say, "We have heard Stephen speak words of blasphemy against Moses and against God."

12So they stirred up the people and the elders and the teachers of the law. They seized Stephen and brought him before the Sanhedrin. 13They produced false witnesses, who testified, "This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. 14For we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us."

15All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.


S.- Scripture
... Opposition arose... (from Stephen's sign and wonders)
They could not stand up against the wisdom the spirit gave him as he spoke.
... secretly persuaded...
Sanhedrin?
... customs Moses handed down to us...
... his face was like the face of an angel...

O.- Observe
Stephen is a follower of Jesus who is full of the Holy Spirit. He has done great things.
The Jewish synagogue is not happy with him.
Stephen followed Jesus and the jewish leaders did not believe Jesus was the messiah.
Jewish leaders from all over the region could not match the power Stephen had from the Holy Spirit.
The leaders convinced people to lie about Stephen in order to get him into trouble.
Stephen was so full of the Spirit that his face even showed it.

A.- Apply
I need to realize that living for Jesus means that sometimes other will not agree with me.
There is a possibility I could be lied about, mistreated and called into question because of my faith.
Even in those trials I should radiate the fact that the Spirit lives in me.

P.- Prayer
Jesus make me a Stephen. Help me to be so full of your Spirit that I can stand before those that would question my faith. In all thing let me radiate your love. Help my students live lives as a Stephen.

No comments: