Monday, February 18, 2008

Only you can prevent forest fires...

Our house was blessed with a small piece of paper in our door a few days ago. It wasn't an invitation to a swanky party or a gift certificate to Longhorn Steakhouse... it actually was a citation for burning wood in our backyard. What has the world come to when people can't even burn wood in their own yard. It wasn't like I was just trying to be frivolously burning any wood I could get my hands on. It was strategic yard-cleaning wood burning. I understand the danger though and heed the warning. I read today about these trees that are extremely different from any trees here in South Carolina. They are called Redwood trees. They are apparently as tall as a football field is long. Not that I question the facts... just flabbergasted by the shear size. The reading was from a small group book I am doing with my 8th grade guys who meet at my house each Monday night for a time of "sharpening"... spiritually and Settlers of Catan wise. (a highly addictive board game) The book was going on comparing these trees to the relationships between individuals in a small group. The trees grow roots deep into the ground in order to intertwine with other tree's roots. They braid in order to strengthen one another for the incredible power needed to stay upright in the woods under the strain of tremendous weight and height. It is really a beautiful picture of James 5:16. We in a small group are to grow deep roots in our faith and trust of our Jesus... but also grow deep roots in trust and reliance on one another. James speaks of honesty and confession as a way of staying straight and powerful in the face of trials and failures. I love to think of my friendships with others as roots that will keep me strong. I know I have extra help when I am weak and I am power to those who are also struggling. But how deep do my roots go? Can they grow deeper and stronger? Whose roots are my safety? If we have roots... what is the soil? So I'm sorry I burnt the wood without asking. I will do better. At least it wasn't a redwood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just a note on redwoods: you might be able to use sometime...

they actually don't have roots any deeper than a normal back-yard maple... BUT they have a root system that spreads far far far far out... tangling intricately with the trees next to it. a wiiiide base. a wide tangled base.

it's really windy where the redwoods grow. And, interestingly enough, the redwoods sway like tall grass in a field, together they ebb and flow. Not like the trees here that bumble around on their lonesome. And you know why they never fall? Because they work together to support each other. from the tangled root - up.

what a novel concept God created. working together...